Blog names are very interesting things. Some of them are funny, some of them are cute, some are witty. Some are actual names, some are inspired by people, some by personalities and hobbies, some by favourite songs/books/movies, others by brilliant strokes of imagination. In most cases, the blog name becomes synonymous with the blogger. An unknown person on the ‘net, known to everyone who reads his/her blog by a random, seemingly meaningless word (or words). Yet, almost every blogger I know has a story/reason behind his/her blog name. Except me.
I’ve been blogging for more than a year now, but I don’t really know how ‘Clueless’ came about. Only the other day, when Macho Girl and I were having our routine afternoon chat on Messenger, and she asked me why exactly I chose to name my blog ‘Clueless’, did I realize that I had absolutely no idea how I picked a name that would become my identity in the blogger world. ‘Clueless’ was my first and only choice when Blogspot asked me to name my blog, but it happened so quickly, I never gave a second thought to it.
Not many people have asked me the story behind ‘Clueless’ to date, so I’ve had a pretty easy time. But it sucks to go around telling the people who do ask, that I have no idea how I came up with it. So I decided to ‘make up’ a story, with my ever-faithful Macho Girl’s help. We ended up with a whole load of explanations for ‘Clueless’, though. For example:
1. Clueless, the movie – The first thought I had as soon as I’d decided to name my blog ‘Clueless’, was that people would think it was inspired by the similarly-named movie. A movie in which Alicia Silverstone portrayed a ditzy blonde who ‘jammed’ with her equally ditzy (albeit not blond) friends. And that was a terrifying thought. Because firstly, it would mean acknowledging that I’d seen the movie. Ack. Secondly, it would seem like I identified with the lead character, Cher, a complete air-head (at least till the end of the movie) who lives in her own bubble-wrap world with her plastic doll friends. And whatever I might be, I am NOT a Cher. Still, I liked the name ‘Clueless’ so much that I willed myself to believe that nobody in their right minds would’ve seen the movie (and admitted to watching it) and therefore nobody (in their right minds) would make the connection. And to my complete relief, nobody did. Phew.
Reason for non-applicability: The further I am from being associated with this movie, the better.
2. Philosophical Explanation #1 – [calm, soothing sadhu voice] ‘Clueless’ is appropriate for a blog name because after all, aren’t we all ‘clueless’, small, insignificant beings wandering around in this big, wide world, trying to find the meaning of life? Aren’t we all ‘clueless’ about why we’ve been put here and what our purpose in life is? Aren’t we all just trying to find answers?
Reason for non-applicability: Profound thoughts? Me? Bwah! *insert snorty, derisive laughter here*
3. Philosophical Explanation #2 – [same calm, soothing voice] ‘Clueless’ makes perfect sense because when I started blogging, I was this ‘clueless’ child trying to find my way in life. I was lost and confused (and, of course, ‘clueless’ about the world) and I turned to this blog hoping for some answers. Hoping for something to light my way from cluelessness to…well, clue-ness. Clue-ity. Whatever.
Reason for non-applicability: Same as reason for PE#1. Also, I don’t think ‘clue-ness’ or ‘clue-ity’ are words. Plus, I was never lost or confused as a child; I was quite bright, for that matter. I can’t lie now, can I?
4. A Warning – By telling everyone beforehand that I’m ‘Clueless’, I can warn the newcomers to the blog about it’s weird and often meaningless content. Because really, how much sense can you expect a ‘clueless’ person to make?
Reason for non-applicability: Oh, who am I kidding? I would never drive away a reader by ‘warning’ them of meaningless content on my blog. More publicity is good publicity, right?
5. Le Truth – I started blogging because I was extremely bored during my vacations, and since after a lot of thinking I was still ‘clueless’ about what to name my blog, I decided to name it just that. Clueless. And in time, the name grew to fit me.
Reason for non-applicability: None, except that it’s the most uninteresting ‘story’ behind a name ever. EVER. Sigh.
So what do you think? The next time someone asks me how ‘Clueless’ came about, what should I say? Should I go for the cold, bitter, uninteresting truth, or should I just not give a damn about my ‘reasons for non-applicability’ and spice the story up a bit?
While I’m at it, I might as well ask – do you have any interesting ‘explanations’ for ‘Clueless’? Any…pearls of wisdom? 😉